Live in the Sustainability Theme House
next year in Arroyo Vista!
What’s the Sustainability House?
Students in the Sustainability House are invited into a holistic, community living learning experience. Residents collaboratively build skills and knowledge to enact a simple yet rich lifestyle, grounded in the urgency of the global climate crisis and the invitation the crisis provides to create deep and lasting fundamental changes in the way we live. Residents learn stewardship through multidisciplinary hall programming that guides residents in audits of energy and water use, recycling and waste patterns, and local food production possibilities to lessen the group’s total impact on the environment. Residents learn essential community building skills and are offered programming on interrelated environmental, economic, and social justice concerns. The house boasts a wide variety of activities including vegetarian dinners, faculty and community interactions, organic gardening, aquaponics, and student led projects. Residents are expected to be actively involved and participate in programs and activities.
This house agreement may require service hours of cooking, gardening, or household project planning work each week. Residents are encouraged to enroll in a for-credit class to complement their experience and receive recognition for their efforts. Priority is given to those students who are pursuing a major or minor related to global sustainability. The house is sponsored by the Global Sustainability Resource Center and the Housing Sustainability Program.
How do I sign up?
All you need to do is fill out this short survey by 11:59pm on Thursday, February 16, 2017 to confirm your interest.
- This is a 16 person house. We do our best to balance gender, guaranteed and non-guaranteed residents, and match roommate preferences.
- Confirmation offers will be sent in March and April.
- If you are on the GUARANTEED HOUSING LIST for 2017-18, we will work with Housing to confirm/redirect your preference to this house if selected.
- For NON-GUARANTEED CONTINUING STUDENTS, if extended an offer for this house, you must submit the Housing Application as soon as the application window opens in April. https://my.housing.uci.edu/gateway
- MORE INFO: http://housing.uci.edu/apply/How_To_Apply.html
- Email email@example.com for more information.
- I am happy to answer any other questions as best I can. Questions about your housing contract status are best addressed to the AV or HAS office