The UCI Sustainability Resource Center and Campus Physical & Environmental Planning are now accepting applications for a 2020-21 Climate Action Fellow to work with the Sustainability Resource Center. This paid opportunity is sponsored by the UC President’s Carbon Neutrality Initiative.
Description: The purpose of the CNI Student Fellowship program is to engage and energize students’ interest in supporting the UC Carbon Neutrality Initiative and its work towards meeting UC’s carbon neutrality goals. Fellows are expected to communicate about campus and UC-wide carbon neutrality goals and programs, assess existing programs and efforts, and engage undergraduate and graduate students in those efforts. Engagement and communication efforts should enable and empower students to provide feedback about campus and UC-wide carbon neutrality programs.
Student Project: The Student Engagement Fellow will be a team member of the UCI Sustainability Resource Center (SRC). This year, the fellow will focus efforts on incorporating Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) into the CNI and Sustainable Practices Policy. This will include but is not limited to supporting DEI programs based on Environmental Justice and Climate Justice principles. The fellow may host student forums and other events and report on student issues, concerns, and proposals. Planning and collaboration are key to a successful fellowship. The fellow is expected to work with their supervisors to develop a project overview that includes their project goals, deliverables and timelines, and the metrics that will be used to measure success. The fellow is expected to meet regularly with their supervisors to discuss projects, progress, and issues that arise.
The fellow is expected to:
- contribute approximately 8-10 hours per week to the fellowship during academic year 2020-21;
- orally present one status update each quarter at select campus-wide events;
- attend one fellows’ study break each quarter;
- write at least one blog post each quarter for select social media platforms;
- complete work products specific to the fellowship project by June 1, 2021; and
- write a short mid-term report (date TBD) and final report by June 1, 2021.
- Promote awareness of the Carbon Neutrality Initiative and campus student fellow projects (e.g., tabling about the CNI, engaging student leaders and student organizations in discussions about the CNI and DEI, write stories on student projects, etc.)
- Network and/or assist with publicizing campus events related to CNI activities
- Infuse, where appropriate, CNI branding into campus events, including on-campus activities in conjunction with Earth Day in April 2021
- Support efforts to rollout programs from of Global Climate Leadership Council (GCLC)/CNI Working Groups
Fellows are expected to participate in UC system-wide activities (expenses paid)
- A virtual orientation session on July 7, 2020 that will bring together both the incoming and outgoing CNI and Global Food Initiative (GFI) Student Fellows
- Periodic conference calls to discuss their projects and share best practices with their peers
- Host a student climate forum on campus that emphasizes Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
- Join periodic systemwide CNI Student Engagement conference calls
- Attend at least one GCLC meeting during the academic year
- Meet with CNI leaders on campus to learn about ongoing CNI efforts
- Attend a leadership retreat on November 13-15, 2020 at the Ben Lomond Quaker Center, outside of Santa Cruz.
- A field trip in the Spring of 2021 (date and location TBD)
- A closing symposium and poster presentation to be held in conjunction with the CA Higher Education Sustainability Conference (CHESC) in July 2021.
The fellow will also submit progress reports and a final report to UCOP. Fellows will also present a poster outlining their project at the California Higher Education Sustainability Conference. Reporting deadlines include:
- Project overview by October 30, 2020
- Mid-year progress reports by January 29, 2021
- Complete a project poster by June 5, 2021
- Year-end project report due July 1, 2021
In addition to the reporting requirements listed above, Student Engagement Fellows will submit a year-end report on how the $1,000 student engagement budget was spent by June 12, 2021. Share with the Student Representatives to the Global Climate Leadership Council student feedback on the CNI, campus needs and opportunities, and guidance on advancing campus-based student engagement in the CNI.
The fellow will receive:
- hands-on, project-based experience in the fellowship area;
- approximately $4,000 in the form of a paid student assistantship;
- plus an additional $1,000 program budget to support CNI engagement and activities;
- campus and university-wide recognition as a member of a select group of student leaders;
- an opportunity to convene virtually with climate and food fellows from across the UC system at the beginning and end of the fellowship year;
- an opportunity to participate in a virtual sustainability leadership training; and
- guidance from prominent scholars and mentorship from practitioners in the field.